President Buhari has approved the appointment of the Deputy Inspector-General, DIG, Usman Alkali Baba as the Acting Inspector-General of Police, IGP.
The Minister of Police Affairs, Maigari Dingyadi, made the announcement when he spoke with State House correspondents in Abuja today April 6.
He said the appointment was with immediate effect. Dingyadi added that issues of professionalism, competence, and years of service were considered before Alkali was appointed.
Usman Alkali Baba Biography
The Yobe born Police chief has held several strategic positions in the past.
Here are few things to know about the acting IGP:
1. Usman Alkali was born on 1st March 1963.
2. He hails from Geidam in Yobe State and has had meritorious years in the force.
3. He has also served in various capacities such as DIG Force CID and was also the Force Secretary at the Force Headquarters, Abuja.
4. He has served in various commands including Kaduna as the Deputy Commissioner, Administration; He was in FCT as the Deputy Commissioner, Investigation and was also in the staff college as a directing staff.
5. He was in Ilorin as an Area Commander. He was the second-in-command in Ebonyi, He was also an Assistant Commissioner, CID in Kaduna and before then was DPO (Divisional Police Officer) in various places like Yola, Gombe, Kaduna, and Jos.
6. He holds a Masters in Public Administration (MPA) Degree from the University of Maiduguri, Borno State 1997 and a BA (ED) Political Science from Bayero University, Kano State as well as Professional Courses/Workshop Institution.
7. Alkali was a member of Course 22/2014 2014, National Defence College (NDC)
8. He is a member of the International Association of Police and also a fellow of the International War College.