NCC says 107 million mobile lines have become inactive as of March 2022

NCC says 107 million mobile lines have become inactive as of March 2022

As of March this year, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) announced that 107 million mobile lines connected to the networks of MTN, Globacom, Airtel, and 9mobile had been dormant.

According to the Commission’s most recent subscriber data, the four telecom operators had a total of N306.3 million linked lines in March. However, at the conclusion of the month, there were 199.2 million active lines throughout the networks.

This means that in the previous month, telecom providers were able to generate income from 65 percent of their linked lines.

A mobile line is considered inactive if the subscriber has not used it to make or receive calls or access data services for at least 90 days. These lines are distinguished from active lines since they do not generate money for telecom carriers during the specified time frame.

  • While the telecom operators have always had inactive lines alongside the increase in active users and new activations, the ban on new SIM registration and the inability of many subscribers to retrieve their lines between December 9, 2020, and April 19, 2021, worsened the situation as abandoned lines continued to pile up each month.
  • Industry analysts have also attributed the increasing number of inactive lines, which predated the recent ban, to the fact that SIM cards are now easy to acquire and dump. According to them, the MNOs were also contributing to the increase through their aggressive marketing strategy of offering SIMs to customers for free.
  • At the beginning of the telecoms revolution in 2001, a SIM was sold for as high as N60, 000. However, the stiff competition among the telecom operators for the subscribers has pushed many of them to be offering their SIMs for free, laced with promises of free credit and data upon activation.
  • But with the recent policy that subscribers are to present their National Identification Number (NIN) before buying a new SIM, industry analysts said the situation would improve for the better as people would now buy SIMs only when it is necessary and not just because an operator is running a promo.
  • Also, in a new number management policy recently introduced by NCC, the telecoms regulator has said that subscribers whose lines have been inactive for 12 months would forfeit them. “Subscriber numbers that have not generated revenue by originating calls will automatically be recovered after 12 consecutive months,” the Commission stated in the new policy document.



Stay Connected , follow us on: Facebook: @creebhillsdotcom, Twitter: @creebhillsblog, Instagram: @creebhills, Pinterest: @creebhills Telegram: creebhills

To place an advert/sponsored post on our site, contact us via [email protected]
Previous articleUS Federal Trade Commission fines Twitter $150 million over data privacy breach
Next articleGeorgina Rodriguez seen at Cannes Film Festival as she makes first public appearance since the death of her newborn son
Pro Blogger, Online Content Developer with over 3 years of experience

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here