Police re-arrest Nnamdi Chude as Emeka Offor files defamation suit in Abuja

Police re-arrest Nnamdi Chude as Emeka Offor files defamation suit in Abuja

According to Peoples Gazette, the police in Abuja on Wednesday detained a vociferous Labour Party supporter as part of a defamation lawsuit that has been brewing since late February.

Nnamdi Chude, who is well-known for his steadfast support of labor on the microblogging platform Twitter, was detained after complying with a police invitation in connection with an alleged defamation claim made by controversial tycoon Emeka Offor.

The Gazette learned about Mr. Chude’s arrest at around noon after he reported to the police headquarters in Abuja from people familiar with the event. He was informed that Mr. Offor had chosen to file a defamation lawsuit and that he would be held in detention until the trial.

The police have prepared charges, according to Francis Obuzor, the Abuja-based lawyer representing Mr. Chude in the case. His client could be charged on Thursday morning before a magistrate in the nation’s capital.

The Interpol denied any role in the arrest, even though The Gazette established that Mr. Chude was being held at a facility utilized by the organization in Nigeria.

The cybercrime unit, not our department at Interpol, may be handling this case, according to assistant inspector-general of police Garba Umar, who made the statement on Wednesday afternoon. “We are not involved in the case in any way.”

The arrest of Mr. Chude today happened exactly one month after he was apprehended in Anambra and brought to Abuja by police officials with the cybercrime section. The incident, according to the police, was connected to a tweet that Mr. Chude reportedly posted that painted Mr. Offor in a derogatory manner.

According to the tweet, Mr. Offor and Bola Tinubu were planning to pressure Peter Obi into recognizing the disputed February 25 presidential election. Mr. Chude was released from detention after being forced to record a video retracting and apologizing for the offending tweet, despite Mr. Offor’s vehement denial of the accusation.

After Mr. Chude apologized and was let go on March 24, there were hints that Mr. Offor would no longer pursue the case. Unknown reasons for the billionaire oil trader’s decision to file new charges, which the authorities are preparing to pursue under criminal defamation laws, remain unanswered.

When contacted by The Gazette on Wednesday afternoon regarding his lawsuit and the police’s interference, Mr. Offor declined to comment.

Stay Connected , follow us on: Facebook: @creebhillsdotcom, Twitter: @creebhillsblog, Instagram: @creebhills, Pinterest: @creebhills Telegram: creebhills

To place an advert/sponsored post on our site, contact us via [email protected]