The Lagos State Government, under the directive and leadership of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu moments ago released new Traffic rules, its offences and their fines.
Lagos state over the years since the time of former Governor, Fashola down to Akunwunmi Ambode has been working hard to ensure the citizens of the state are law-abiding via creating new traffic laws and fines.
Taking a look at the latest updates to those rules, the state has now added months of Jail time for those who break some of those rules with hefty fines added.
How this will pan out with the public and LASTMA officers who have over the years been accused of Brutality and Injustice at all levels is left to be seen.
Below are the new Lagos State Traffic Rules: Offences and their fines:
LAGOS STATE NEW TRAFFIC RULES: Offences And Their Fines
1. Driving without a Driver’s licence – Impound vehicle.
2. Driving of any vehicle by person under 18 – N30,000.
3. Driving with fake number plates – N30,000, 3 years in prison.
4. Driving with forged vehicle particulars – 6 months in prison.
5. Driving with fake driver’s licence – 6 months in prison.
6. Driving without road worthiness – Impound vehicle.
7. Driving only yellow – N80,000. Enforce painting
8. Driving without Hackey permit – Impound vehicle.
9. No display of Hackey permit – Impound vehicle
10. Kabu Kabu without permit – Impound vehicle
11. Disobeying LASTMA Officer – N30,000/
12. Neglect of traffic direction light – 3 months in prison.
13. Smoking while driving – N30,000/Impound vehicle.
14. Physically assault traffic officer – N50,000/6 months in prison.
15. Driving without full light – N50,000.
16. Driving with worn out tyre – N30,000.
17. Driving without spare tyre – N30,000
18. Driving smoking vehicle – N30,000
19. No fire extinguisher – N30,000
20. Broken windscreen – N30,000
21. Tinted windscreen – N30,000
22. Eating and driving with one hand – 3 months in prison.
23. One way driving – 3 years in prison
24. Driving without fasten seat blt – N30,000
25. Not painting a commercial vehicle the approved colour – N50,000
26. No car hire service permit – 1st 20,000; 2nd N30,000, Impond vehicle
27. Parking on yellow line on any public highway/
illegal parking – 1st N20,000; subsequent N30,000
28. Vehicle crossing double yellow line/center line – 1st N20,000; subsequent N30,000.
29. Staying within the yellow junction box (offside rule) – 1st N20,000; subsequent N30,000
30. Failure to yield to right of the way of pedestrian at zebra crossing – 1st N20,000; subsequent N30,000
31. Failure to give to traffic on the left at a roundabout – 1st N20,000; subsequent N30,000.
32. Driving on walkway or kerb – Impound
33. Reversing on the highway & parking on walkways – 50,000 naira
34. Obstruction of traffic -20,000 naira
35. Picking/Dropping passengers on illegal B/stop -50,000 naira
36. Driving on BRT lanes –70,000