Godwin Emefiele, the governor of Nigeria’s central bank, has announced that President Buhari will introduce new naira notes on November 23rd, 2022.
This is well ahead of the previously scheduled December 15th, 2022 deadline.
Mr. Emefiele also insisted that there will be no going back on the January 31st data, which will see all old currencies lose their legal tender status. Mr. Emefiele also stated that he is relying on their law to advance this policy.
- He also thanked Buhari for his support over the last seven and a half years and singled out the president’s support for the new naira policy which he has backed twice in comments to the media.
See more nuggets from Emefiele
- We thank Mr. President for the support we have received from him for over 7 and half years.
- We thank security agencies for working with us for monitoring the flows
- We thank the senate who besides the pressure is also given us support
- We will not shift any deadline. It is in tandem with the law
- We are no longer waiting till December 15th.
- By the 23rd of November President will unveil the new naira notes and the FEC chambers by 10 am tomorrow.