The University of Lagos (UNILAG) has denied rumors that it had raised its fees for the second time in a month, calling the news inaccurate and baseless.
This disclosure is contained in a press statement issued on Friday by UNILAG’s Head of Communication Unit, Adejoke Alaga-Ibraheem, who explained that the rumor that the University has added additional unauthorized charges to its previous increments is false and intended to mislead the public.
Apart from the “Adjusted Obligatory Fees” for New and Returning Undergraduate Students, Alaga-Ibraheem remarked that the institution did not issue any other notification of increase.
- The statement reads, “The University of Lagos (UNILAG) wishes to explicitly refute unsubstantiated claims making the rounds that the University has ‘…slammed additional unauthorised charges to its earlier increments.
- “These completely untrue and misleading claims misrepresent the facts and aim to misinform the public into believing that there has been another adjustment of fees. For the avoidance of doubt, the University of Lagos Management hereby categorically states that this is not the case.
- “Management is not unmindful of the prevailing economic realities and, as of the date of this disclaimer, has not issued any other notice of increment apart from the ‘Adjusted Obligatory Fees for New and Returning Undergraduate Students’ published in its Information Flash News Bulletin (Vol. MMXXIII, No. 80) and official website on Friday, July 21, 2023.
- “The University Management understands the importance of accurate, verifiable and timely information, and views with utmost concern the attempt to spread false narratives that undermine its integrity.”
- UNILAG thus implored students, parents, and the public to disregard such reports about a fee hike.
- “Members of the university community and general public, especially students and their families are, therefore, implored to rely on the official communication channels of the University for announcements, notice, or updates regarding fees, policies, or any other information relating to the University,” the statement added.
- “Please be assured of the university’s dedication to uphold its mandate, and commitment to ensuring that students get the best learning experience.”